*Recruitment activities at the Mercari Group include screening candidates and recruitment-related events held by the Mercari Group, including study groups and information sessions.
1.Collection of Personal Information
The definition of personal information used in this policy is the definition outlined in Article 2 (1) of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (Act No. 57 of 2003, “Personal Information Protection Act”). In order to fulfill the purpose defined in Section 2, the Mercari Group collects applicants’ personal information, including the following, from applicants, recruitment agencies, and third parties subcontracted for background checks, etc.
- name, age, address, date of birth, phone number, email address, educational background, professional background, certifications, current income, expected income, and any other information the Mercari Group designates to be personal information;
- any information included in documents the applicant provides to the Mercari Group when applying to recruitment activities, including but not limited to resume, curriculum vitae, application form, or survey;
- any communication between the Mercari Group and the applicant in any form, such as face-to-face, email, or phone calls (including but not limited to communication regarding interviews);
- any information the Mercari Group collects during screening procedures such as background checks and reference checks in the candidate screening process; and
- the applicant’s history of application to and participation in recruiting activities, as well as screening results.
The personal information collected by the Mercari Group may include information related to the applicant’s gender, health, nationality, etc. (collectively, “sensitive information”). Provision of sensitive information is optional, and the Mercari Group will only collect sensitive information with the applicant’s prior consent. Sensitive information collected from applicants will only be used to the extent necessary for improving the Mercari Group’s recruitment processes, including enhancement of diversity in recruitment, ensuring suitability of work (assignments, etc.) and health in the Mercari Group, and supporting applicants in obtaining necessary visas and/or work permits.
2. Purpose of Use of Personal Information
The Mercari Group uses personal information collected from applicants to the extent necessary for recruiting activities at the Mercari Group. This information is used for
- evaluating the qualifications of applicants in recruitment screenings at the Mercari Group (including background checks, reference checks, and any other screening procedures);
- improving the Mercari Group’s recruitment processes, including enhancement of diversity in recruitment;
- ensuring suitability of work (assignments, etc.) and health in the Mercari Group;
- supporting applicants in obtaining necessary visas and/or work permits;
- providing information to applicants regarding employment opportunities, events, etc. by the Mercari Group;
- improving the Mercari Group’s employment opportunities, events, etc., and measuring satisfaction;
- contacting applicants regarding recruitment activities;
- managing information about applicants; and
- other purposes incident to recruitment activities, such as calculating statistics for use in future hiring plans.
With the exception of cases recognized by law, the Mercari Group will not use the personal information of applicants for purposes other than the above. In the event that the Mercari Group uses personal information of applicants to a level exceeding the extent necessary to fulfill the purposes above, the Mercari Group will only do so after obtaining the applicant’s consent.
3. Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party
The Mercari Group will not provide the personal information of an applicant to a third party without obtaining the consent of the applicant, except if
- pursuant to laws and regulations;
- it is necessary in order to protect a human life, body, or fortune, and when it is difficult to obtain the applicant’s consent;
- it is particularly necessary in order to enhance public health, and when it is difficult to obtain the applicant’s consent; or
- it is necessary to cooperate in work pursuant to laws and regulations performed by a national or local government organization or another party entrusted to do such work, and when there is a possibility that obtaining the applicant’s consent would interfere with the performance of those affairs.
The third parties the Mercari Group provides information to may include third parties in foreign countries as defined in Article 24 of the Personal Information Protection Act, such as overseas cloud service providers subcontracted by the Mercari Group.
4. Entrusting of Information to a Third Party to Handle Personal Information
Within the extent necessary to fulfill the purposes in Section 2, the Mercari Group may entrust all or some of the handling of personal information to a subcontracted third party. In this case, the Mercari Group will thoroughly examine the third party to determine that it meets the third party selection standards defined by the Mercari Group, and execute a contract with the third party ensuring that all personal information will be suitably managed.
5. Joint Use of Personal Information
Within the extent necessary to fulfill the purposes in Section 2, the Mercari Group jointly uses the collected personal information between companies in the Mercari Group.
- Information jointly used:
- Personal information as set out in Section 1
- The Mercari Group as set out in the introduction of the Policy; additionally, the personal information may also be jointly used between companies in the Mercari Group overseas
- To fulfill the purposes in Section 2
- Mercari, Inc. (for details regarding inquiries, please see Section 10)
6. Management and Security of Personal Information
The Mercari Group securely stores personal information collected from applicants in servers in an environment inaccessible to general users, and strives to prevent unauthorized access, loss, destruction, alteration, or leakage of data.
In the event that recruitment screening results in an applicant joining the company, the Mercari Group treats the personal information collected from that applicant as employee information, and stores and manages the applicant’s personal information in accordance with the Mercari Group’s internal regulations. In the event that an applicant does not join the company, the Mercari Group stores the applicant’s personal information for a certain period of time to the extent necessary for the purposes of improving the Mercari Group’s recruitment processes, providing information to applicants regarding employment opportunities and events by the Mercari Group, etc.
7.Disclosure, Correction, and Suspension of Use of Personal Information
If an applicant requests that their personal information be disclosed, corrected, or no longer used, the Mercari Group will respond to that request appropriately in accordance with relevant laws and regulations. If you wish to request disclosure, correction, or suspension of use of your personal information, please contact the person in charge of this at the Mercari Group via the contact information in Section 10.
Applicants may not request disclosure, correction, or suspension of use of personal information that meets either of the conditions below:
- Information in relation to the screening process at the Mercari Group
- Information in relation to evaluation at the Mercari Group, such as the results of screening
If an applicant wishes to correct any personal information that they sent to the Mercari Group using the registration form, they may do so by re-sending the registration form with the corrected personal information.
8. Changes to this Policy
The Mercari Group strives to improve this Policy appropriately. This Policy may be updated to reflect changes in laws and regulations, the necessity of recruitment activities, etc.
Inquiries regarding this Policy, including Section 7, should be sent to the Mercari Group using the contact information below.
18F Roppongi Hills Mori Tower, 6-10-1 Roppongi, Minato-ku, Tokyo 106-6118 Address to: Hiring Representative, Mercari, Inc.
Email address: jobs(at)mercariapp.com
(Please replace (at) with the @ symbol.)
Established on 23rd September, 2020